Last Updated on
Do you want to give your child the feel of playing in the snow without actually visiting the snow? Make this Glittery Faux Snow for a dose of winter fun!
Normally, we have plenty of beautiful snow on the ground by now. This year, we still haven’t had a real snow. It’s making the whole town go a bit stir crazy.
See, our town depends upon the snow. If we don’t have snow, we don’t have tourists. And if we don’t have tourists, businesses close. And if businesses close, we have fewer luxuries. So we need the snow.
My husband and kids are going a bit crazy without the snow too. The mountain opened later than usual, and though they have gone snowboarding every day since the mountain opened, they are still waiting for real snow.
To give them a little taste of playing in the snow at home, we decided to whip up a batch of Glittery Faux Snow. While it was quite messy, it was so much fun!
If you’re looking for something fun for your kids to do over the winter break, whip up this super fun glitter faux snow!
How to Make Glittery Faux Snow for Kids
- 32 ounces of corn starch
- 1 can of shaving cream
- 1 tablespoon blue glitter
- 1 large mixing bowl
- Storage container
- You’ll want to make this faux snow outside because it can be pretty messy. I also recommend putting your kids into an apron or adult shirt to protect their clothes.
- Dump the cornstarch into the bowl slowly so it doesn’t blow everywhere.
- Add the shaving cream, a little at a time, working it in with your hands. The kids will love how it starts to feel cold when the ingredients combine. Keep adding a little more shaving cream at a time, until you’ve used the entire can. When it’s done, it should feel dry when you touch it, it shouldn’t stick to your hands and you’ll be able to mold it together.
- When you’re happy with the consistency, add the blue glitter and mix until well combined.
- Store your faux snow in an airtight container. I find that it does dry out pretty quickly compared to some of the other play materials we make like Moon Sand.