Learn how to make a delicious Gluten Free Club Sandwich using classic ingredients. This simple recipe is a great choice for lunches and brunches.
The Club Sandwich is a classic lunch option, and it’s easy to make one even if you’re on a gluten-free diet. The only change you have to make is using gluten free bread.
You can make this recipe using leftover turkey or deli meat. I personally prefer to use deli slices since they’re all evenly cut, but leftovers taste absolutely amazing too.
Either way, the whole family will love this easy recipe… even if they’re not gluten free themselves!
- By the Numbers: How to Make a Gluten Free Club Sandwich
- Tips for Making a Gluten Free Club Sandwich
- Gluten Free Club Sandwich Recipe
- Delicious Gluten Free Side Dishes
- 12 thin slices of gluten free bread
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- 4 leaves of romaine lettuce
- 8 thin slices of tomato
- 8 slices of cooked, cripsy bacon
- 4 slices of cheddar cheese
- 8 slices of turkey
- 8 slices of ham
- Cutting Board
- Sharp Knife
- Butter Knife
By the Numbers: How to Make a Gluten Free Club Sandwich
Follow these simple step-by- step instructions to learn how to make a classic gluten free club sandwich.
Step 1: Toast and Season Bread
Start by lightly buttering your slices of bread and toasting them until they’re golden brown (you can skip this step if you prefer softer bread for your sandwiches). After toasting, spread a layer of mayonnaise over the first slice of bread and sprinkle salt and pepper to taste.
Step 2: Layer Lettuce, Tomato and Bacon
Next, layer one leaf of romaine lettuce, 2 slices of tomato and 2 slices of bacon that have been cut in half.
Step 3: Layer Bread
Take a second slice of bread and spread mayo over it, then sprinkle with salt and pepper and lay over the top of the bacon strips.
Step 4: Layer Cheese, Turkey and Ham
Next, layer one slice of cheddar cheese, 2 slices of turkey and 2 slices of ham on top of the bread.
Step 5: Close Sandwich
Finally, spread mayo and sprinkle salt and pepper over a third slice of bread and top your sandwich with it.
Step 6: Slice Sandwich
Cut your club sandwich into 4 pieces diagonally and use toothpicks to hold the sandwich quarters together. Use a fun toothpick for a special touch. Serve your gluten free club sandwiches with a dill pickle, if desired.
Tips for Making a Gluten Free Club Sandwich
Answers to all of your questions about making a delicious turkey club sandwich, including tips and substitution ideas.
Substitutions and Variations
One of my favorite things about club sandwiches is how much you can customize them. Here are a few ideas, but experiment with your own too:
- Use leftover Thanksgiving turkey or a roasted turkey breast instead of deli meat
- For a California Club sandwich, add slices of avocado to the bacon, lettuce and tomato layer
- Substitute roasted chicken breast for turkey
- Add spring onion or red onion slices for an extra pop of flavor
- Try different types of cheeses in place of cheddar like pepperjack or provolone
- U a bit of mustard along with the mayo for a stronger deli flavor
- Add hardboiled egg slices to the cheese and deli meat layer
Best gluten free sandwich bread
My favorite gluten-free bread to use for sandwiches is my homemade gluten-free bread. If you don’t want to use homemade bread, you can use any gluten free sandwich bread you have like the ones you find in the freezer section at the grocery store (e.g., Rudi’s, Canyon Bakehouse, etc.).
Sides to serve with club sandwiches
If you want to make your lunch just a bit more fancy, try adding a bowl of soup or salad. Here are some of my personal favorites:
- Potato Leek Soup
- Strawberry Spinach Salad
- Poached Golden Beets
- Broccoli Salad
- Split Pea Soup
- Cream of Tomato Soup
Gluten Free Club Sandwich Recipe
- Cutting Board
- Sharp knife
- Butter Knife
- Lightly butter and toast bread. Spread mayo over one slice and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Layer 1 romaine lettuce leaf, 2 tomato slices and 2 sliced bacon strips (cut in half).
- Spread mayo over another piece of bread, then season with salt and pepper. Lay over the bacon.
- Next, layer 1 slice of cheese, 2 turkey slices and 2 ham slices.
- Spread mayo and sprinkle salt and pepper over the final piece of bread and top your sandwich with it.
- Cut into 4 pieces and use toothpicks to hold the quarters together. Serve.