Last Updated on
Does shopping for natural hair care products feel like a chore? Learn how to make DIY natural shampoo bars for healthy hair, and you’ll be hooked on homemade beauty recipes.
Finding a good natural shampoo that works can feel like a real challenge some days. I’ll find one I think I like, then a couple weeks later I realize it has created a nice layer of residue in my hair – or I notice my hair is drying out more than usual.
And don’t get get me started on the no poo trend. I tried it and it is not a friend of our hard well water.
So, I am always looking for something new. I was introduced to shampoo bars a while back and really liked the idea. If you haven’t tried them before, you can buy shampoo bars on Amazon.
Since they’re solid, they have a longer shelf life than liquid shampoos. And they’re easy to bring along on vacation too.
I have chosen to use a few essential oils that really have great qualities for the hair. You’ll find that the essential oils for hair that I used are readily available from companies like Plant Therapy for an affordable price.
If you’d rather buy some shampoo bars first before making your own, you can find some good natural shampoo bars on Amazon. Handmade with love is always the best.
Tutorial: How to Make Shampoo Bars for Healthy Hair
Or you you can buy pre-made shampoo bars on Amazon.
Supplies and Ingredients
- 3 teaspoons cocoa butter
- 2 teaspoons cetyl alcohol
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- ½ pound goat milk melt and pour soap base
- 1 teaspoon vitamin E oil
- 1 teaspoon organic argan oil
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 10 drops lavender essential oil
- 10 drops tea tree essential oil
- 10 drops rosemary essential oil
- 10 drops peppermint essential oil
- ¼ cup crushed lavender petals (optional; you can use an spice grinder, coffee grinder or mortar and pestle)
- Soap colorant (optional)
- Double boiler
- Add the cetyl alcohol, coconut oil and cocoa butter to a double boiler over medium heat, stirring frequently until all ingredients are completely melted.
- Cut the melt and pour soap base into cubes and add it to the double boiling, stirring until completely melted and well combined.
- Stir the apple cider vinegar, sea salt, baking soda, Vitamin E and Argan oil into the mixture in the double boiler.
- Add the essential oils and stir to combine.
- Add a few drops of soap colorant if you like and stir to combine.
- Stir in the crushed lavender, reserving about 2 tablespoons (optional).
- Sprinkle a bit of crushed lavender into each cavity of the soap mold (optional).
- Gently pour the shampoo bars mixture into your silicone mold.
- Spray the top of the mold with a spritz of rubbing alcohol to dissipate any bubbles.
- Allow your homemade shampoo bars to harden at room temperature or in the refrigerator for at least two hours until completely cool. Store the shampoo bars in an airtight glass container until you’re ready to use them.
- Lather up the lotion bar in your hands, then wash your hair as usual.
- Follow up with an all natural hair rinse. If you need extra conditioning, give our DIY Hair Detangler Spray a try.
We hope you enjoy this shampoo bars recipe! If you’re not up for a DIY today, you can also buy shampoo bars on Amazon.