Last Updated on
Do you love crafts that are fun for kids and adults? This DIY Meditation Bottle made from an upcycled water bottle is easy to make and can be used as a time out bottle too!
Year round, I have to be very conscious of staying hydrated thanks to having neurocardiogenic syncope. I add electrolytes to nearly all of my water and carry a reusable water bottle with me.
However, we have been running around like crazy this summer. It seems like we’re always on the move! This means that I run out of water pretty much every day. As eco-conscious as I try to be, it’s really hard to avoid bottled water some days.
Since I do need added electrolytes, but try to avoid added sugar, I often reach for smartwater. I like that it has added electrolytes, so I can get those in my body without sugar or artificial sweeteners. And you can get it everywhere so I like the convenience.
Going back to being eco-conscious, I do hate ending up with wasted plastic bottles. They can be recycled, but we try to reuse before we recycle.
I saw this great tutorial on how to make a time out bottle and the girls always think they’re super cool. My girls are past the short-time out phase, so I liked that there were ways to make the glitter suspend longer so it could double as a meditation bottle.
I like the smartwater bottles because they have completely smooth sides. I really like the size of the 500 mL bottles, but you can use larger bottles as well.
If you want, you can remove the label from the bottle, but we decided to leave them on this time around. Whether you’re looking to make a meditation bottle for yourself or a time out bottle for your child, I hope you find this tutorial helpful!
DIY Meditation Bottle
DIY Meditation Bottles
- Fill an empty water bottle with 2/3 water and 1/3 corn syrup, leaving about an inch at the top of the bottle.
- Pour the water and corn syrup into a small sauce pan, and heat on low.
- Add the glitter glue. If you use a different brand, you may need to use more glitter glue. The more glue you use, the longer the glitter will stay suspended. The less glue you use, the quicker the glitter will fall. If you’re making a meditation bottle, you will probably want more glue. For a time out bottle, you probably want less glue.
- Add food coloring until you get the color you like. The less glue you used, the more food coloring you’ll probably need to get your desired color.
- Whisk constantly until everything is combined. Turn off the heat and allow to cool.
- Once it has cooled and all of the foam/bubbles have dissipated, pour the mixture into the smartwater bottle using a funnel. I believe the foam comes from the corn syrup, so the more corn syrup you use, the more foam you’ll end up with.
- Allow it to sit with the cap off until it’s completely cooled and there are no more bubbles at the top, then superglue the cap on. If you don’t glue the cap on, you might find a glittery mess in your house one day!
- Shake the bottle up and be mesmerized by your DIY meditation bottle.
Now we have a fun way to calm down and relax with our meditation and time out bottles.