Tired of toxic air fresheners that cause respiratory issues? These easy DIY air freshener jars will give you health benefits and keep the air fresh!
It has been years since we ditched the commercial air fresheners. Don’t get me wrong. Before I knew any better I had those plug-ins from Bath & Body Works in every room. Now, when I go into a building or room with a plug-in air freshener or where an air freshener has been sprayed recently, I have trouble breathing.
It’s not surprising though. More and more evidence is coming to light that air fresheners (and most fragranced candles) can lead to things like allergies, asthma and other respiratory issues as well as the possibility of birth defects, cancers and diabetes. When you know better, you do better.
Fortunately, there are so many safe alternatives these days. Instead of wall plug-ins, we use essential oil diffusers. So instead of the toxic effects of conventional air fresheners, we get the health benefits of essential oils.
There are some areas where it’s not so easy to use an essential oil diffuser though. In those cases, I like to use cute DIY Air Freshener Mason Jars. They’re super easy to make and you only need 2 ingredients!
Easy DIY Air Freshener Mason Jars Tutorial
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- 10-12 drops of your favorite essential oils
- 1 small Mason jar with band
- Small piece of fabric
- Put 1/2 cup baking soda into a pint-sized mason jar (or Parmesan shaker like the one pictured – I get mine at the dollar store).
- Stir in 10-12 drops of your favorite essential oil or blend.
- Place a piece of fabric over the jar, then seal with the band.
- Alternatively, you can use a Parmesan cheese shaker that you decorate with ribbon.
- Place your essential oil air freshener jar in an area you want to keep smelling fresh. (e.g., bathroom, near garbage can, in the closet, near your laundry hamper, in the refrigerator, etc.).
- Shake your air freshener jar frequently to keep the fresh scent activated. If you notice that the scent starts to fade, simply add 4-5 drops of additional essential oil to jar.
Recommended Essential Oils:
Odor Zapper, Sweet Orange and Peppermint, Purify, Lime and Ginger, Cassia, Eucalyptus, Grapefruit, Lavender, Lemon – or any combination you love!
What essential oils will you use in your DIY Air Freshener Mason Jars?