Learn how to make the best Chicken Verde Chilaquiles Casserole in this easy Mexican breakfast recipe.
I have started making Chilaquiles more often for my family. If you haven’t had Chilaquiles before, it’s almost like a nacho casserole topped with eggs. I love adding eggs to breakfast because it’s an easy protein with beneficial vitamins and nutrients to help you start the day off right.
It’s super easy to toss the ingredients together real quick and pop the casserole in the oven. Then you can get ready while it bakes and you’ll have a hot breakfast for the whole family.
There are lots of swaps you can make too. You can swap the shredded chicken for chorizo, shredded beef or carnitas. You can swap the queso fresco for more Cotija or even mozzarella. You can change out the toppings. It’s really easy to customize to your tastes!
Chicken Verde Chilaquiles Breakfast Casserole
- 5 cups corn tortilla chips
- 24 ounces salsa verde
- 3/4 cup Queso Fresco cheese crumbled
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 1 can pinto beans drained and rinsed
- 6 eggs
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro
- ½ cup green onions thinly sliced
- 1 cup avocados diced
- ¼ cup Cotija cheese Queso Fresco works too
- Sour cream optional
- 1 Jalapeño thinly sliced, optional
- Preheat your oven to 400˚ F. While the oven is pre-heating, pour your tortilla chips into a medium sized baking dish.
- Next, pour the salsa verde all over the top of the chips.
- Sprinkle ¾ cup queso fresco cheese, the shredded chicken and pinto beans on top.
- Make 6 grooves around the pan and crack an egg into each of the grooves.
- Place in oven (uncovered) and bake for about 25 minutes, or until the egg whites are cooked. Once it’s cooked through and the eggs are cooked to your liking, remove the baking pan from your oven.
- Top the chilaquiles with avocado, cilantro, green onions, jalapeno slices, Cotija cheese and sour cream.