Thank you to Minute® Rice for sponsoring this delicious casserole recipe.
I'm pressed for time most days, but especially during the holidays. Work is always super busy this time of year and the kids have a lot more activities they need to be at as well.
My goal is to make dinner from scratch for every meal, and I hate the nights that I need to grab takeout. Over the past few years, I have developed a cook once, eat twice (or even 3 times) methodology. It means making more food one night, so that we can eat leftovers for 1-2 more nights.
One type of meal that lends itself well to having leftovers is casseroles. I love the simplicity of both making a casserole, and of heating up the leftovers. Even if it takes me more than one pan to prepare the meal, all I have to do is pop a single pan back in the oven the following night to heat up dinner.
Rice makes an excellent base for casseroles, but it takes quite a while to make rice in our rice cooker. Minute® Rice cooks much quicker because it's parboiled before being packaged.
I chose to use the new Minute® Multi-Grain Medley for this casserole. It's a blend of 4 gluten-free whole grains, including long grain brown rice, Thai red rice, wild rice and quinoa. It cooks quickly in only 10 minutes, and I love the variety of textures in it.
I was unsure if the girls would love a casserole with so much kale in it, but they both said it's their favorite casserole ever. Kale really does cook down a lot, so it's not as much as it looks like 🙂
If you're looking for a delicious casserole recipe to try on a busy night this winter, be sure to give my Creamy Sausage, Kale and Minute® Multi-Grain Medley Casserole Recipe a try.
- 3 bags Minute® Multi-Grain Medley, prepared
- 2 large bunches of Kale, stems removed and leaves torn
- 1 pound Baby Bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 pound nitrate free sausage (mild or spicy)
- 6 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup gluten free all purpose flour
- 1 cup organic whole milk
- 1 cup homemade chicken broth
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 ½ cups gruyere cheese, shredded
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped roughly
- Butter, for greasing
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Prepare the rice per the package directions. Set aside when done.
- While the rice is cooking, brown the sausage in a cast iron pan.
- When the sausage is browned, add the onions and cook until translucent.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and cook until the water is released.
- Add the torn kale leaves and cook until wilted.
- Stir in garlic, thyme, parsley, salt and pepper.
- Carefully stir in the flour, making sure it coats the mixture evenly.
- Next, pour in the milk and chicken broth, then stir until combined.
- Stir the mixture constantly until the mixture thickens up. It should take 3-5 minutes
- Stir in the cream, then remove from heat.
- Add the rice to a buttered 9 x 13 casserole dish.
- Then pour the other pan of ingredients over the rice. Top with one cup of cheese and stir until everything is combined.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top of the casserole.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the cheese is melted completely and the casserole is bubbly.
- The girls like to eat their casserole with a slice of olive focaccia, but I love it all on its own.
If you like this recipe, click here for more than 400 recipe ideas featuring Minute® Rice.