Having a dishwasher to clean dishes makes life so much easier. But running out of dishwasher detergent can send you scrambling – because who wants to wash dishes by hand if you don't have to?
Making your own homemade dishwasher detergent tablets is an easy, convenient and affordable way to always have dishwasher detergent tablets on hand. And you only need a few simple ingredients. Make a big batch, store them (preferably in glass) and use them as needed.
I love that you can customize homemade dishwasher detergent tablets to any scent you like using essential oils. We used lemongrass, but you can use any combination of oils like lemon and eucalyptus, rosemary and peppermint or any combination you love.
Homemade Dishwasher Detergent Tablets
- 1-1/2 cup Arm & Hammer Washing Soda
- 3 tablespoons sea salt
- 1/2 cup filtered or distilled water
- 45 drops essential oils (we used lemongrass essential oil)
- Mix washing soda and salt together in a bowl.
- Mix water and essential oils together in a separate bowl, then pour into the dry mixture. Stir until well combined.
- Place a dollop of the mixture into a silicone mold (any shape you like as long as it will fit in your dishwasher detergent compartment) and press it firmly into the mold, making sure it fills the entire space. Scrape away any excess with the side of a spoon.
- Let your DIY dishwasher tablets set overnight or up to 24 hours to dry. Once they are completely dry, pop them out of the silicone mold and them store in a glass storage container like a mason jar.
- Place one dishwasher tablet into your dishwasher soap compartment and wash your family's dishes as usual.