This sponsored post was written by me on behalf of the National Frozen & Refrigerated Foods Association. All opinions are my own.
When I want a simple meal without a lot of fuss, one of the dishes I turn to is a nice, simple quiche. I love them because they’re both filling and tasty! Plus you can get most of the ingredients you need in the refrigerated section of the grocery store.
I usually make crustless quiches to minimize our grain intake, but every once and a while I like having the texture of a crust alongside the quiche.
It was a success! We all enjoyed this quiche for dinner and then again the next morning for breakfast.
This also makes a nice dish to bring to a holiday potluck. I love it because you can make it ahead of time and not have to be rushing last minute to finish up the preparations before heading out the door.
Grain Free Bacon & Mushroom Quiche
Gluten Free Crust Ingredients
- 1 package of nitrate free bacon
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup of sliced mushrooms
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 8 organic eggs
- 2 tablespoons of almond milk
- ½ cup grated cheddar cheese
- Preheat your oven to 375° F.
- Bake your bacon on a cookie sheet at 375° F for 20 minutes or until it’s starting to crisp. Set aside to drain.
- While the bacon in baking, in a medium sized bowl, combine dry crust ingredients.
- Add the palm shortening to the dry crust ingredients and mix until well combined. If it’s too dry to stick together, you can add 1 tablespoon of filtered water and mix in.
- Pat the dough into a 9-inch glass pie dish.
- When the bacon is done, reduce the oven heat to 325° F and bake the crust for 10–15 minutes, or until golden. Remove from oven to cool.
- While the crust is baking, in a large cast iron skillet, heat the coconut oil and then add the bell peppers. Sauté for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the onions and sauté for another 3-4 minutes
- Add the mushrooms and garlic, and sauté until the mushrooms have shrunken considerable, around 5-6 minutes. Turn the pan off and set aside.
- Layer the bacon in the bottom of the crust, then top with the sautéed veggie mix.
- Beat the eggs and almond milk in a mixing bowl until fluffy, then pour over the bacon and veggies.
- Turn the oven temperature up to 400° F and put the quiche in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and top with the grated cheese, then put back in the oven for another 15-20 minutes, or until the quiche is cooked through and the cheese is starting to brown.
- Serve hot or cold – either way it’s delicious!
So head over to the refrigerated foods section of your local grocery store and pick up some nutritious organic eggs, cheese and almond milk, then grab some bacon and your favorite veggies and you’ll have a simple and filling meal for dinner tonight!
If you’re especially rushed for time and don’t want to make a crust from scratch, you can often find pre-prepared crusts in the refrigerated or frozen section as well.
For more mealtime inspiration, visit http://www.EasyHomeMeals.com, The Dish Diary Tumblr and follow the National Frozen & Refrigerated Foods Association on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest.