Learn how to make the best Southwest Cheese Ball with Mexican flavors in this easy appetizer recipe.
I hang out at the food table at pretty much every party I attend because I just can’t get enough of appetizers. I never did love cheese balls because I didn’t like the typical flavors used.
So I decided to come up with my own cheese ball recipe that suited my tastes. And that is how this Southwest Cheese Ball recipe was created.
It’s delicious and flavorful and even the kids like it! Plus it’s gluten free and vegetarian.
Southwest Cheese Ball Recipe
- 8 ounces cream cheese - room temperature
- ½ cup cheddar cheese - shredded
- ¼ cup salsa
- ¼ cup corn
- ¼ cup black beans
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon jalapeno - minced and divided
- 1/3 cup bell pepper - minced
- 1/3 cup tortilla chips - crushed
- Mixing bowls
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Plastic Wrap
- Mix the cream cheese, cheddar cheese, salsa, corn, black beans, minced garlic, half of the jalapeno, cumin and sea salt in a medium mixing bowl until well combined.
- Next, using a dinner plate, combine the crushed tortilla chips, bell peppers and the rest of the minced jalapeños.
- Using your hands (yes, this gets messy), shape the cream cheese mixture into a ball. Then roll the ball around in the mixture on the plate until all sides of the ball are well coated. Wrap the ball in plastic wrap, place in a bowl then refrigerate overnight or for at least one hour before you serve so it can firm up.
- It pairs perfectly with tortilla chips. If there are leftovers, wrap them back up and store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.