Are you searching for the best homemade dutch apple pie with a unique twist? My family’s favorite recipe for Strawberry Apple Pie with a crumb topping is easy to make, vegan and gluten free.
I have been re-working a lot of my recipes over the last year to remove gluten, dairy and eggs from them. I had an awesome piecrust recipe that worked well with any pie (you can see that in my Jack-O-Lantern Pumpkin Pie recipe), so I was nervous about re-working that one.
What I ended up with tastes amazing. It’s flaky and flavorful and goes well with every pie I’ve tried it with so far. I was also nervous about my crumb topping, but again, it came out superb!
I used palm shortening rather than coconut oil in my crust. You can also use coconut oil, but the consistency of the crust and crumb topping will be slightly different. If you use coconut oil, be sure it’s refined as you don’t want to overpowering flavor of unrefined coconut oil in this gluten free pie crust recipe.
I started making Strawberry Apple Pie when the girls were quite young. It’s definitely one of our favorites. The flavors of apples and strawberries pair well, especially with the crumb topping.
If you make and enjoy this recipe, be sure to come back and leave a rating!
Strawberry Apple Crumb Pie
Gluten Free Crust Ingredients
Gluten Free Crust Directions
- Preheat your oven to 325° F.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine dry ingredients.
- Add the palm shortening and vanilla extract to the dry ingredients and mix until well combined. If it’s too dry to stick together, you can add 1 tablespoon of filtered water and mix in.
- Pat the dough into a 9-inch glass pie dish, and bake for 10–15 minutes, or until golden.
- Remove from oven to cool.
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the sugar, arrowroot powder and cinnamon, and mix well.
- Add lemon juice and water and mix well.
- Lay the apples out in the pan and then top with the strawberries.
- Pour the liquid mixture over the apples and strawberries.
Crumb Topping Directions
- Mix the sugar, palm shortening and flours in a bowl. It should look clumpy.
- Sprinkle the mixture over your fruit.
- Place your pie in the oven and bake for about one hour.
- The pie should be bubbling and golden brown; if not cook for 5-10 more minutes and check again.
- Serve warm or cold – it’s delicious either way!