Are you searching for the best homemade apple pie filling recipe? Our simple, gluten free apple pie filling is easy to make and ready in only 15 minutes!
Having homemade apple pie filling on hand makes it super easy to prepare any number of apple desserts.
And, fortunately, you can prepare my homemade apple pie filling recipe in 15 minutes if you didn’t make some ahead of time. Then you can be enjoying your apple treat in no time.
For example, this homemade apple pie filling recipe works well for apple crisps, apple pie cookies, mini apple pies and can even be simply served warm over ice cream. To prepare a traditional apple pie, this recipe needs to be doubled.
The Best Homemade Apple Pie Filling
- 4 cups apples - sliced and peeled
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch - or arrowroot powder
- 2 tablespoons fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup warm filtered water
- Mixing bowls
- Mixing spoon
- In a bowl, add ¾ cup warm water, lemon juice and sliced apples. Toss the apples in the mixture to prevent browning.
- In a saucepan, combine cornstarch and ¼ cup of water and whisk until blended.
- Add sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg to the saucepan, and whisk to combine.
- Pour contents from bowl filled with apples into the saucepan and stir. Cook on low heat for 10 minutes or until apples have softened.
- Remove from heat and allow the mixture to cool and thicken before using.