Are you searching for the best homemade apple pie filling recipe? Our simple, gluten free apple pie filling is easy to make and ready in only 15 minutes!
Dessert is something I cherish sharing with my family. We don’t have dessert every night, so it’s really a special treat when we do.
That means I love putting a lot of love into the desserts I prepare for my family. Most of the time that means spending a ton of time in the kitchen creating a special treat for everyone.
However, there are times when I want to enjoy a yummy dessert, but I don’t want to spend a ton of time making it. Having homemade apple pie filling on hand makes it super easy to prepare any number of apple desserts.
And, fortunately, you can prepare my homemade apple pie filling recipe in 15 minutes if you didn’t make some ahead of time. Then you can be enjoying your apple treat in no time.
For example, this homemade apple pie filling recipe works well for apple crisps, apple pie cookies, mini apple pies and can even be simply served warm over ice cream. To prepare a traditional apple pie, this recipe needs to be doubled.
If you’re longing for a dessert full of delicious fall flavors, give this homemade apple pie filling recipe a try, and let us know how you like it.
The Best Homemade Apple Pie Filling
- In a bowl, add ¾ cup warm water, lemon juice and sliced apples. Toss the apples in the mixture to prevent browning.
- In a saucepan, combine cornstarch and ¼ cup of water and whisk until blended.
- Add sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg to the saucepan, and whisk to combine.
- Pour contents from bowl filled with apples into the saucepan and stir. Cook on low heat for 10 minutes or until apples have softened.
- Remove from heat and allow the mixture to cool and thicken before using.