Do you struggle to get your kids to eat enough vegetables? They'll gobble down this hidden veggie Orange Spaghetti Sauce with smiles on their faces.
When my kids were younger, I snuck veggies into everything. If you dice them up small enough, they don't even notice. Sure, it takes a little extra work, but it's totally worth it.
My daughter who hated mushrooms ate them for years minced in ground beef before I told her that she'd been eating – and loving – them for years. After that she decided she liked them after all.
Another way to sneak veggies into your family meals is to put them in sauces. Most kids love sauces, so they don't think too much about what you may have put into it.
This recipe for Hidden Veggie Orange Spaghetti sneaks carrots, red peppers and avocados into the sauce along with spaghetti squash, onion and mushrooms in the main course.
Not a spaghetti squash fan? Not a problem. You can serve this orange spaghetti sauce over your favorite noodles instead. You'll still be eating tons of veggies!
Hidden Veggie Orange Spaghetti Sauce Recipe
- 2 grassfed steaks, grilled and chopped (we get our grassfed steaks from Butcher Box)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- 1/2 small sweet onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 12 button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 3 large carrots, peeled and cut into big chunks
- 1 red pepper, cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1 very ripe avocado, pitted and peeled
- 1/4 cup parmesan + more for topping
- 1/2 cup water
- Parsley, optional garnish
- Get the squash going. Bring a large pot of water to a boil (big enough t hold the full squash). Cut it lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Toss it in the water, keep it at a rolling boil and let it cook until it's tender (about fifteen minutes).
- Meanwhile, add the carrots and pepper to a double boiler and begin to steam. Cover the cashews in warm water while you're cooking the carrots (this helps them blend).
- In a medium sauce pan, heat the coconut oil over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and sauté until onions are almost soft. Add the mushrooms and Italian seasoning.
- Once the carrots are tender (about twelve minutes), add them and the rest of the sauce ingredients to a blender and process until smooth. Add the water little by little depending on preference.
- Turn the veggie skillet down to low, throw in the sauce and mix well.
- Shred the squash. Using tongs (the squash is hot!), remove one half of the squash from the pot and begin to shred with a fork. Do this with the other half and place the shredded squash into a strainer to drain any excess water.
- Prepare the plates: divide the squash into bowls, add steak and top with the sauce and any additional Parmesan or parsley you desire. You'll have some leftover sauce.
Did your kids love this hidden veggie orange spaghetti sauce?
Please Pin this post to your gluten free or real food recipe board!